Derbyshire Domestic Abuse Helpline – 08000 198 668
Sheffield Domestic Abuse Helpline – 0808 808 2241
National Domestic Abuse Helpline (24 hour) – 0844 804 4999
In an emergency, dial 999
Everyone has a role to play in helping to stop domestic abuse. This page provides a range of information aimed at practitioners. More detailed information is also available on Sheffield’s Domestic Abuse Coordination Team (DACT) website. For information on similar services available in Derbyshire, please visit the Safer Derbyshire website.
Sheffield Referral Pathways
Sheffield DACT has designed the referral pathways for the following:
- Domestic Abuse
- Sexual Violence
- Young People & Domestic Abuse, including the Traffic Light Tool
Derbyshire Referral Pathways
If you are an agency or practitioner wishing to refer someone for outreach support please request a referral form by emailing DerbyshireDAhelpline@actionorg.uk.
For refuge referrals please call the helpline on 08000 198 668. If out of hours, please leave a voicemail and state that the call is in connection with a refuge referral. Referrals for refuge can be accepted from outside of Derbyshire.
Domestic Abuse Training
Action provides free training for anyone working in Sheffield. The courses raise awareness of domestic abuse and the multiple and complex related needs of the victim, including specific training in respect of young people, mental health and female genital mutilation, honour based violence and forced marriage. Many of the courses are tailored specifically to the needs of practitioners working directly with vulnerable people in the city. View more information and book onto a course.
Action also provides institutional advocacy and support to other services across the city to raise general awareness and develop the domestic abuse services in Sheffield.
Sheffield Outreach Service
Sheffield’s citywide outreach service works with men and women who are experiencing domestic abuse, when they are still in an abusive relationship, attempting to leave or have already left. We work with victims that have been identified as Medium and Standard Risk of serious harm or homicide. We provide a flexible, professional and responsive support service and offer:
- A wide range of practical and emotional support and advocacy to wherever you live in the city
- Telephone support, home visits, one-to-one, group support work and planning the support you need with you
- Safety planning, needs and risk assessment
- Work with other agencies to help increase your safety and your children’s
- Advice about civil and criminal legal options
- A signposting service for referrals to other specialist agencies; BME services, mental health, drugs and alcohol, counselling, housing, advice centres and legal services.
- Support to stay safely in your own home if that is your choice e.g. help with home security
To refer someone to Sheffield’s outreach service contact the Sheffield helpline on 0808 808 2241 or by email at email@example.com. Consent must be obtained to refer someone into this service.
Sheffield Independent Domestic Violence Advocacy Service (IDVAS)
Action’s IDVA Service provides impartial advice and support to high risk victims of domestic abuse. Our supportive staff are trained to deliver specialist support to the victim, working in partnership with multiple agencies, with the aim of increasing safety for the victim and their dependents. We also aim to reduce the risk of further domestic abuse and the effects this may have on the victim.
- Risk assessments
- Safety planning
- Crisis intervention
- Representation of the customer’s views at multi agency risk assessment conferences
- Confidence building
- Access to additional support services, including those around health, substance misuse and mental health, including treatment programmes.
- Access to volunteering, education and employment
To refer someone to Sheffield’s IDVA Service, please contact the Sheffield helpline on 0808 808 2241 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.